Search my Blog-site

Saturday 13 April 2013

DIY Perfume/Vanity Tray

Small Lime Regency Frame
Perfume trays always look so pretty and elegant, but they are so expensive. For a really long time I had been searching for a nice perfume tray that would tie in with the vintage style in my bedroom. However I could only find ones priced for nearly £20, and I thought this was far too much. So, I turned to YouTube and the world of DIY. I found many different tutorials that all seemed to use the same thing: a photo frame. So then the search began to find a really pretty photo frame for a reasonable price. This proved difficult. Rummaging through charity shops and second hand furniture shops, I found nothing. By this time I'd given up hope in finding the perfect frame for my project, until I wondered into Urban Outfitters one day with no intention to buy anything and there it was, the perfect frame. Although the colour was a little off putting, I knew I could just paint it. The great thing about using a photo frame is you can change the bottom image easily and as often as you'd like.



As you can see, all I've done to this frame is paint it white. I used a paintbrush and really quite like the paintbrush marks but if you don't, you could spray paint it or use a sponge. You can also use any photo, collage or patterned paper to be the background image, I used just plain white paper because all though it's quite boring, I thought it might look quite nice and classic. You also dont have to use this as a perfume tray, you can put anything on this, a nice idea would be use it as a bedside table tray and you could put things like hand creams and night moisturizers on it so you can keep your nightly products organised. 
To get mine the opaque colour that it is, I had to use a couple of coats of my white (acrylic) paint. This meant that it took quite a white to dry, but I really recommend waiting for it fully dry before you add another coat of paint or touch it because otherwise it will smudge and you'll have to re-paint over that making it take much longer. Be patient;)



 
I'm now more determined to grow my perfume collection! Next on my wishlist is either Valentina by Valentino, Marc Jacobs Daisy Sunshine or Rihanna's Nude:)

Thanks for reading and good luck if you try out this DIY!:)xo

No comments:

Post a Comment